The Palmer House Hotel is located in Sauk Centre, Minnesota. Several individuals who have worked in and visited this hotel claim that it is haunted based on the unexplained phenomenon that occurs there that seems to be directly related to the paranormal.
Originally constructed as the “Sauk Centre House” in the year of 1863, it was purchased in the year of 1867 by a man with the name of E.P Barnum and renamed to the “Minnesota House”. A year later, John Apfeld purchased the structure and changed the name to “The Apfeld House”. Here, you will continue learning about the Palmer House Hotel, and the hauntings that seem to occur within it.
In the year of 1900, in the month of June, the structure caught fire and was destroyed. At the time, many of the locals were not exactly thrilled with the establishment as it seemed to draw in several odd drifters and even increased crime in the area. According to the history of the original building, it is believed that the fire was started intentionally. When the owner of the building contacted the council of the city to attempt to acquire a loan to reconstruct the building, but the council did not see that it was appropriate to offer him the funding. There was another team of people who wanted it to be rebuilt and turned into a hotel. They offered an amount of $5,000 to the individual who would do so. This was the Herald from Sauk Centre.
A man by the name of R.L Palmer decided to take up the challenge and built the hotel that stands on the property today. The building was completed in the year of 1901. At this point, he named the hotel “The Palmer House”. The immense structure offered guests a considerable thirty eight exquisite rooms. It also included a bathroom that anyone could use. In addition to the beautiful structure, electricity was even put into the building for the comfort of the guests – at the time, this was not considered to be standard practice, but it was considered to be a luxury. Several locals and visitors alike swarmed to hotel simply because of its elegance.
By the year 1974, the ownership of the hotel had exchanged hands several times. It landed in the hands of two owners. One man was named Dick Schwartz and the other man was named Al Tingley. When the new owners took over, several people began to feel as if the hotel was haunted. There were many different types of unexplained phenomenon that seemed to be related to the paranormal occurring within the structure. Two of the hauntings seem to be directly related to suicides that had occurred in the hotel. One individual had hung himself, and the details of the other suicide were ambiguous. It is believed that the two spirits from these suicides still linger in the building.
There are many strange and unusual events that have occurred at the Palmer House Hotel. Several guests have heard knocks that seem to emerge from within the walls, as well as from the doors of their rooms. Upon investigation, it has been found that there is no logical explanation for the noises that are heard. This leads several individuals to believe that there are spirits trying to contact the living that visit and/or work in the building. There is also an unusual event that occurs in the hallways in the night hours. It has been said that children run and play in the structure – only there are no children there.